Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Netflix, much?

I need to give a little background info. In June of 2006, Mary Margaret was diagnosed with Guillain Barre Syndrome. We knew something was wrong b/c she was losing her ability to walk and couldn't hold onto objects any more.

GBS is where the body's immune system begins attacking the peripheral nervous system. The first symptoms of this disorder include varying degrees of weakness or tingling sensations in the legs. In many instances, the weakness and abnormal sensations spread to the arms and upper body. These symptoms can increase in intensity until the muscles cannot be used at all and the patient is almost totally paralyzed. It normally follows a virus of some sort and is extremely rare. MM never even had a runny nose prior to GBS presenting itself. It was so scary.

The paralysis moved up to her hips and up to her elbows. She couldn't walk, stand up, use her arms, didn't want to eat, etc. All she wanted to do is sleep. We spent a week in Children's Hospital (enduring horrible tests---including a nerve conduction test where they shocked MM to test her nerves while her Daddy had to hold her down). I'm just saying IT WAS TERRIBLE though thanks to the dear Lord in Heaven, she fully recovered. She can have residual effects of the GBS for years and has only had one reoccurance and it was minor (it was in April 07 and b/c she had a cold, remember GBS effects the immune system). We live across the street from one of MM's doctors and b/c of this I have not taken her back to the office. She still remembers bits and pieces of the experience. Anyway, going to the doctor still makes her extremely nervous and scared. We even missed her 3 year old check up b/c I've just been hesitant to subject her to something uncomfortable. For a long time, she would say, "The doctors can hurt you."

Today was check up day -- for both of the girls.

MM has so been dreading this. She even cried in her sleep last night and talked about wanting to stay at home all day today.

We arrived at the doctor's office and while I am getting her out of the car, she looked at me and said, "I sure hope Dr. House will be my doctor."

This should tell you how much I Netflix.

Also, the last name of the doctor we saw today was Packard. We got home this afternoon and MM said, "I want to go see Dr. Pepper again, Momma."

I think I worried over all this a little too much. She handled it so well and the doc was fabulous. He completely eased her mind.

Harper Jane received 3 shots. I know that babies must get these shots but it doesn't make it any easier. She has been ill all afternoon.

All in all, we had a very productive and healing day.

HOORAY! I'm so glad it's over!

Though the Dr. House comment was pretty funny...

5 comments:

LaskiGal said...

Stumbled upon your blog. What a scary , scary thing to happen. So glad she has recovered. I love Netflix and I love House. There have been times I wish he were my doctor too

Leigh said...

Wonderful! My prayers. Glad things are back on course. What beautiful names your children have.

Kelly said...

Glad you made it through okay. I'm sorry about what MM went through - that sounds horrible. But I'm glad she is better now. How scary!

LG said...

I am so glad you blogged about this because I was trying to tell my mom about when MM was sick and I couldnt remember the name of that.
I was terribly worried for her and am so excited God took care of her!

Jessica said...

Dr. Pepper! Ha! Out of the mouths of children! I felt so sad to hear she cried in her sleep. I know that it is hard for you to see that happening to your little girl. I'm glad she is doing better. I'm sure someday it will all be just a distant memory.