Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Going Green

As I have mentioned before, I have been pondering the whole organic food issue for a few months now. I've started slowly..........s l o w l y. I now buy organic milk (every time) and organic veggies, if I can find them. Remember I live in small town USA with a fresh/farmers market at least 45 minutes away.

Today I found an article called "The 12 Foods to Buy Organic" from Prevention Magazine (on-line, of course). (Click on the article title if you want to check out the article yourself). The article was very informative and explained why you should buy organic for these particular items.

The magazine calls these "The Dirty Dozen"!

Here they are:
1. Beef, Pork, and Poultry
2. Milk, Cheese, and butter
3. Strawberries, Raspberries, and Cherries
4. Apples and Pears
5. Tomatoes
6. Potatoes
7. Spinach and other greens
8. Coffee
9. Peaches and Nectarines
10. Grapes
11. Celery
12. Red and Green Bell Peppers

So what do you, fellow blog friends, buy organic? Do you think it makes a difference?

P.S. I KNOW I have blogged about this before but I stay in limbo as to what I should do. I value each and every reader's opinion. I like to weigh all my options and sometimes it's like I beat a dead horse....I know, I know. I am just trying to weigh all the healthiness vs. all the extra cost of going green (especially after reading THIS article about food prices going up everywhere).

10 comments:

Caroline's Mom said...

I buy organic baby food. My dr. says that this is unneccessary, though. I also buy organic applesauce, and anything else I can find at Whole Foods. This is my new favorite store!

just jamie said...

I have a hard time with this. I *WANT* to do the right thing and buy organic/cage-free/hormone-free/pesticide free ... etc.. BUT, it's so stinkin' expensive.

I do buy organic milk and I try with produce where we eat the skin. I'll check out the link, thanks.

LG said...

I always try to buy the organic version of whatever is on my list. I know its much more expensive but I tell myself Its ok b.c we dont grocery shop/cook often.loved the list you posted! thanks

grizaham said...

I eat whatever organic stuff the wife buys.. except organic mayo which is disgusting...

Lori said...

honestly.. I don't buy anything that is organic. A-- it's a lot more expensive, B-- I'm not sure that they've done enough to prove it's that much better for you yet


but I say if that is the way people want to go.... go for it!

Leigh said...

Dang, Lindsey. I am screwed on#2,3,4,6,8 (cept summer when I grow them myself), 10 & 12.
I am so going to read the article now!

Melanie said...

I always buy organic milk because of the hormones. I try to buy organic meats when available. I think the cost is worth it and try to save in other ways.

TeamBettendorf said...

raw milk/grass fed beef. :) Some organic veggies.

Donielle said...

I started eating organic when I had to start feeding my little Peanut real food. Pesticides give me the heebie jeebies! :-) But living on one income makes it kind of difficult for us, so I try and buy organic when I can and always buy organic for at least the top few of the dirty dozen. Otherwise we do buy organic raw goat milk and I only use natural cleaners in my house. We're trying to get some grass fed beef but it is sooo expensive!

Melek said...

frightening...that list of 12 are pretty much the only fruits/veggies i ever buy.... now i guess i need to start looking at organic stuff. luckily i have a Whole Foods AND a Central Market nearby. they're just so much more expensive! sigh... why are the things that are good for you always more costly?