Friday, April 4, 2008

The Littlest Performer

I realize that I have been MIA from the blogging world as of late. Real life has been really busy!

The past few months MM has been going to plays with her Daddy. She loves, I mean, LOVES them. It is their "date" time. She came home from each play talking about how much she wanted to be on stage. She believes she is a performer. She really has no fear of being in front of people whether singing or talking.

In our little city, there is a theatre company and this company is preparing to present The Sound of Music (a MM favorite). So you got it....I've been busy practicing with her. We watched the movie a few times, listened to the music a lot (she had to memorize several songs for the audition), and practiced singing with someone playing the piano. I realize that she is extremely young to be trying out (she's 4 and 4 months), but I feel like it would be a good experience for her. She was going to try out for Gretl the 5 year old. The director was looking for someone that is between the ages of 4 and 7.

The first set of tryouts were held last night. We went with the intention of just watching and then we were going to go back tonight for the real tryout. MM would have nothing of just sitting in the audience. She had to get on the stage. She was by far the youngest trying out for Gretl.

First all the children had to stand in a circle and sing "Do Re Me" and all 38 inches of her was just a singin'. Absolutely NO fear.

Then the director had the children trying out in sets of Van Trapp children. You remember the scene, the children were all standing in line at attention and meet Maria for the first time. Maria said to Gretl, "And you must be Gretl." Gretl is supposed to take two stomps out, nod her head, and stomp back in line.

I was out in the audience, obviously very nervous, but there was my 4 year old, not a care in the world and certainly not nervous. Here came her turn. She stomped out after Maria said, "And you must be Gretl." Just as serious as MM could be she stomped out and replied, "No, I'm Mary Margaret." She then stomped back in line.

There were tons of kids there trying out (a lot of my former students) and everyone erupted in laughter. I, at first, was worried that MM would be upset about everyone laughing, but no....she just got this mischievous little grin across her face.

I am well aware that she did not follow the directions. I am well aware that she is really young to be trying out. I am well aware that she probably won't get the part. But you know what? She was the best in my heart and she was memorable. She did a few other funny things and the director was definitely laughing at her.

She had the absolute best time. She loved it. It was like she was in her element. And I'm guessing that this will not be the last time we try out for a play or a musical. She woke up this morning and asked, "Mommy, when can I get on the stage again?"

12 comments:

Stefanie said...

Oh, how sweet!!! You definately have a little performer on your hands!!!!

Misty said...

What an amazing little child you have there....

Law Student Hot Mama said...

How cute! That's great that she loves the stage . . . just make sure you don't turn into one of those horrible pageant moms (not that you would). Those women are AWFUL!

LaskiGal said...

Lindsey--that is adorable. I can feel how excited and nervous you were for her. She is AMAZING. And, regardless of what happens, she IS going to do great things! Undoubtedly!

BTW, I LOVE Sound of Music. Whenever I am stressed I start singing "Favorite Things"--it de-stresses me each and every time!

CC said...

what a hoot hoot hoot!!!! It sounds like YOU'VE got your hands full!

ashleydiggs said...

MS. DRAMA QUEEN!!! You probably should get her head shots done now!!!

just jamie said...

Oh my Gosh. What a sweet heart she is. Truly. That is special. She has special in her genes, in her bones, in her pores. Good luck MM. One day, a girl with that much spunk, will get on stage!

Kelly said...

Oh my dream- to have a child who is not shy. I love it! I love the Sound of Music. I'm glad she loved it too! I wish I could have seen her - I bet she was precious!

ChristiS said...

How adorable!!! I love it! We'll be hearing about her someday!

Sarah said...

I can completely picture this moment. I say encourage her in this! I grew up doing tons of plays and it was truly the one time I felt in my element...and that's a great thing as a teenager, when you never quite feel comfortable in your own skin!

LG said...

When will we know if she gets it? I have long thought that she needs to be on stage as well. She is just too full of personality not to share it with the world.

Bonnie Brooke said...

I am so excited for her! No doubt she'll be successful in whatever she chooses to do. I love you all!