Friday, April 11, 2008

Q and A

My sweet bloggy friend, Kelly, is having a Q and A session over at her blog b/c she was having a slow blogging week. Kelly is a Christian (first and foremost). She is truly adorable, has great taste (both in decorating and in clothes), and loves Paula Deen almost as much as me. She also wants to have a baby. Say a little prayer for her. She will be a fabulous mother. She decided to ask me a few questions and I just had to answer them. So here we go....

How did you and your husband meet?


I was an intern at his school. Now I do realize how horrible that sounds (think Monica Lewinsky), but I was not his intern. He taught elementary school in Auburn. I was assigned to his school as another teacher's intern. We met in the door way to his classroom and yes, the soundtrack kicked in when I saw his smile. Cheezy, yes I know. We started dating but had to keep it a secret until my internship was over (6 long secretive weeks). We started dating in November, got engaged in April and married in August. We just knew. Why wait?

He proposed to me in that very same doorway where we met. And guess what? His parents met at school AND his grandparents met at school. We were married in 2001 and he makes this journey oh-so-much fun.

That August we moved to Carrollton, Georgia and taught at the very same school (Michael taught 5th grade and I taught 4th grade). We actually rode to school together every morning. This was not a good idea. I do not recommend it unless you are both morning people. BTW, Michael is NOT a morning person. I would just wake up all bubbly, and eager to teach. I would discuss every thing I planned on teaching my 4th graders on the way to school. I would get zero response from him. Finally, I just used that small little ride to school as my prayer time. Ha. He was (and still is) a great sounding board and cheerleader for me. It was a long, very hard first year teaching for me and I hated, despised Eastern time zone. I could not adjust to it. My body clock was on Central time zone and would not change.

So we moved back to my neck of the woods (North Alabama) after that school year ended (June 2002). It was then that we discovered that I was pregnant. Surprised (we had not even been married a year), but we were excited. Our new jobs were in different school districts and that was ok. Around the 6th week of my pregnancy, I began having heavy bleeding. I was distraught. After about 4 weeks of watching the "sac" not have a heartbeat and not growing but my HCG was increasing (which is why the doctor wanted to just watch, wait and see), I developed a fever. Michael was out of town (of course, I have wonderful timing). My aunt and mother rushed me to the hospital where an emergency d&c was performed (July 19th). I'll never forget that date. I was to be due on February 19th, but God had better plans.

We started that school year. Michael was an assistant coach for the high school football team. It consumed his time. I felt very alone. He was very busy. I was trying to deal with the miscarriage so I threw myself into my work. That helped me a lot. I made lots of sweet friends at my school. They were all very supportive (and still are). We decided not to try to have a baby. We would just wait. I just wasn't ready for that worry and heartache again.

God would have a hand in our plans. He decided that in February of 2003 I would get pregnant(remember how I was supposed to be due that February). Beginning in March I was so sick, so very sick. So very sick, in fact, that we had to tell people earlier than we wanted to. I couldn't very well have a virus for weeks, could I? I threw up until I was 20 weeks. It was brutal. It is a wonder that we have a second child after all the sickness.

We bought a house in my school district and moved. Michael worked oh-so-very hard on our very old home. He and his Dad painted and prepared and fixed and repaired LOTS of things.

We found out we were having a baby girl in July of '03 and she would be called Mary Margaret. Mary from my sweet grandmother and Margaret from my wonderful great aunt that was watching down from heaven. Mary Margaret arrived 3 weeks early on November 5. She weighted 5 pounds and 12 ounces. She arrived at 3:45 am and if you can avoid having a baby in the wee hours of the morning, I recommend it. I had to go back to work when she was just 8 weeks old. I was miserable, but my mother kept her and I am still so thankful that "Nanny" and MM have such a fabulous relationship.

There are a few more questions from Mrs. Kelly and I'll work on those soon. Anybody else got a question for me? Ask away!

Below is a picture of Michael and I at Amber's, one of my oldest and dearest friend's wedding.

11 comments:

Melek said...

what a sweet story! i love that his parents and grandparents met at school too! i guess it was just meant to be :)

Dana said...

I love it, very sweet!!!

I love the look of your blog, it's so cute!!

Have a great weekend...

Misty said...

Ditto, ditto.....

I enjoyed reading every sentence!

CC said...

sweet story! I love my teacher friends!

Law Student Hot Mama said...

Aww - you guys are a cute couple!

And yeah, it's amazing people go back for more once they already know how miserable they are pregnant! Heh - are you going to go for 3?

Anonymous said...

you guys are so cute!!! I'm not a blogger as of yet(still thinking about it!!)and I came yours by way of Kelly and Jessica. I really do love MM's isms so keep em coming girl!! I am from Ohio and couldn't get used to central time zone when visiting family! I really get a kick out of your blog!! Tammy

Leigh said...

great pic of you! and such a sweet story!

Sarah said...

Thank you for sharing this! I feel like I just went along on part of the journey with you! I am so sorry you had to go through your first pg loss. You have a beautiful family, and a very inspiring way of writing!

Kelly said...

You are so sweet - I feel like Diane Sawyer giving you an interview!
Thanks for answering - I loved it!!!!! How sweet and romantic that Michael proposed in the doorway where you met!!! I love that!
I'm so sorry you miscarried. I know how hard that was. Were you as sick with Harper as you were with MM?
You and Michael are SO cute!
I feel like I know you even more now!

LG said...

I loved this post! That was great and I learned alot too. M reminds me of Philip Johnson (sigma chi when we were at AU) ! DId you know him?

LaskiGal said...

How in the world did I miss this story??? And this picture??? Lovely story. GORGEOUS couple!!!