Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Words

Hi, my name is Lindsey and I'm a dork.

Thought I should confess/admit that before I got started with today's blog.

I have always had a love affair with words. I love them. I love learning new words. I love teaching MM new words. I love games with words (uh, hello Scrabble). I really love doing the Jumble in the newspaper. Oh and I so loved the game show Lingo (it's on the Game Show Network).

I've been trying to keep 2 lists (imagine that? I am such a list maker...it's called ADD--ha). One list is words that we have learned and the other list is words that I want to teach her.

We have learned exhausted, famished, disaster, britches (you would be surprised how many 5th graders didn't know this word), tidy (something her room is never), fragile, furious, appropriate, patient, scolded, serious, honest, grumpy, cozy, gentle (imagine that word being used a lot when HJ arrived), delighted, solved, curious (oh thank you Curious George), and clamor (thanks to you The Night Before Christmas). Now she doesn't always use them properly in context but she tries and it is oh-so-cute.

I want to teach her agile, sassy, lethargic, don, mended, wise, animated (b/c hello? MM is) emerged, peculiar, surrounded, peruse, conundrum, serene, inquisitive, resplendent, obstinate, impeccable, candid, copious, blunder, adamant, adhere, chaos (uh, totally describes her room), and this list it could go on and on.

I love words. Seriously. I am the person that loves the Reader's Digest Word Power. M's Mom made him complete the Word Power when he was a little boy. That got me to thinking that I might just take a subscription to Reader's Digest....HMMMMMMM!

Do you love word games? Do you love words? Do you teach your kids words?

And lastly what are some of your favorite words...and please don't leave the 4 letter kind?! HA!

13 comments:

Law Student Hot Mama said...

The four letter kind ARE my favorite kind, though! As are a variety of other nasty words that are more than four letters. I can't help it.

I think my favorite word other than negative words is probably "wonk." As in "Policy wonk." I just love that term. I think it's hella funny. And, in some way, vaguely negative!

Also, I love crossword puzzles. Though only the easy kind - I hate when I can't finish them.

Leigh said...

That is why MM has the cutest things come out of her mouth! Adoreable. I need to look up some of those words myself (smile).
My favorites are completely overused by me and are mostly southern slang...ya'll, mercy, fabulous, rockin, etc.
So who's the dork now.
Hey, pass me that dictionary & digest..

Lori said...

I do like word games myself. As for teaching Blake word... right now we are still working on the basics since he doesn't talk a lot! But I don't "dumb down" the way I talk to him, nor did I when I taught. I figure they will figure out what I'm saying or ask what it means

Julie said...

I don't consider myself very intelligent and my vocabulary is limited. Bryan on the other hand is very intelligent. Sometimes when he talks I have to ask him to use smaller words!!! :)

Katie said...

I, too, LOVE words! That is so cute that you are teaching her all those new words! They are good ones! We LOOOVVVVE Scrabble. We also play Boggle a lot. Have you played that? Please do! Some of my fave words...juxtaposition, onomatopoeia, dormitory, and reverberate. My LEAST favorite word of all...strew. Eww...I just don't like that word at all!

Katie said...

Oh yeah...and petechiae! I'll stop now, I promise... :o) Although, I could go on and on and on...

Misty said...

I would have to say that I have a potty mouth.... largely so.... but I am rreeaaalllllyyyyy trying to break that sh%tty habit.....

(wink)

I really am. I promise. My kids keep reminding me, too....

just jamie said...

I love that you are a word person. I think in words (as opposed to pictures). Love your list. Very impressive. You're not a dork at all ... or if you are, then I'm right there with you. :)

Melek said...

i LOVE words...mainly, figuring out the origin of them. i want to know WHY we use the word 'sex' to describe 'sex'...what is it derived from? i do the word power in reader's digest too (my BF gets it).

and no, it doesn't make us dorks!

Melek said...

oh, and im a huge crossword puzzle fan. so so much sudoko (or however you spell it) bc that's numbers...but crosswords, awww yeah!

ok, now i AM a dork.

LG said...

As a non human mom, I have to say it never even OCCURRED To me that we must teach the kids these words. Nephew Stevie was ALWAYS asking me what so adn so meant.. normal words but He was just to young to know and I had the hardest time trying to describe words like sarcasm,etc SO i think you are a totally rad mom to actually have that on your agenda!

Sarah said...

I love this post! I was just telling my husband tonight about a word and he said, "Where did you learn that?" and I admitted "Dictionary.com. Sometimes I like to just get on there and see what the word of the day might be."

I totally share your dorkdom! :)

Sarah said...

But hate the word "murmur." It just sounds like it never really ends..."murmurmurmurmur..."