Friday, August 8, 2008

A List!

Can you believe it? A list? On my blog? Shocking, I know. Here is a list of all things going on with the Douglas family.

1. We've moved into an apartment (albeit a brand new apartment) in a somewhat scary 'hood.
2. It was only supposed to be for a month.
3. We are now looking at being here for 6 weeks.
4. After all is said and done, we will probably be here for 2 months (we hope)!
5. HJ turns 1 in 2 weeks. I'm still in denial.
6. MM starts pre-school after Labor Day.
7. Nervous is an understatement when I think of that.
8. Manual labor is killing me at our new (old) house.
9. We "chipped" up parquet floors off the original hard woods in 3 (B I G) rooms.


10. That sounds a lot easier than it actually was. LOTS 'o GLUE on those parquet boards. Lots 'o glue!
11. I'm so sore I can barely pick up HJ.
12. I'm a fragile, delicate flower and should not be performing such feats.
13. Just kidding! I really loved every minute of it. It was such a stress reliever!
14. Our old house had 15 (yes, 15) wall heaters. They were all removed yesterday. They were not child-friendly and we really didn't need them.
15. Our backyard now is home to the following items: a stove, a cook-top, a toilet, a sink, 15 wall heaters, and an old microwave.
16. We are like the "Sanford and Son" of our historic neighborhood.

17. Obviously, not the impression I was hoping to make.
18. I invited my grandmother to come see our new house.
19. She said she probably shouldn't come see it right now.
20. She reminded me that she lacks "vision"!
21. She is right not to come see our house right now as it is a major construction situation. At least she is honest:)

What about you? Do you lack vision? Are you able to see the hidden potential in an old house? Or do you prefer a new home? Let me know. I'll let you know if I've changed my mind after this ordeal. HA!

I promise (PROMISE) that I will upload some pics of our progress.

15 comments:

Kelly said...

I think old houses are SO neat but I lack vision or patience or the ability to do any changes so I will probably always stick to new houses.
I can't wait to see pics of your restored home! You are a BRAVE woman to be doing this with young children!

Lori said...

wow sounds like a huge project, but I'm sure it will be so worth it in the long run

Laura said...

I'm a visual person! Must see pics and then I KNOW I will see potential! Yep! Sounds like S&S to me!!!

Kim said...

I love old houses! I love reading your blog, you are soo funny!!

Jessica said...

Can't wait to see the pictures!!! I can see the vision with old houses, but don't have the patience. I can't wait to see your progress!!!

Daiquiri said...

We lived in an old house for 6 years...new bathrooms, floors, painting, landscaping, kitchen cabinets...you name it, we did it! It was great fun.

BUT...then we moved into a new house...and oh, the joy of not doing laundry in the garage and having a dishwasher I didn't have to roll to a sink to use! I think I'll stick with my new house ;)

BTW...my baby turns one next month, and I'm totally in denial too.!

Leigh Ann said...

I'm sad to say, but I lack vision! I wish I had it! I loved things and homes that have been restored. I can't wait to see what you guys have done. It's good to read your blog again. I missed you!

Misty said...

You HAD BETTER get pictures up along the way....... (wink)

Katie said...

I can't wait to see pictures!! I love things like that. I can walk in somewhere and see potential...my husband, on the other hand, cannot. So I am usually begging him to just trust me and go with it! haha! ;o)

I know what you mean about pulling up flooring and things like that...it's kind of cathartic, isn't it? It's like clearing your mind. At least, that's how I feel. (Am I weird?) So, I am completely jealous that you are getting to do all this stuff! haha!

TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES!! Please, that is... :o)

Julie said...

I think old homes are so neat and they have so much character. But I have a hard time visualizing a final income. And finding the time to do the work is also a road block for us. So, I think I would prefer a newer house. I just don't know....It's complex.

CC said...

WOW! I don't envy all your work! We couldn't do that at all...

Leigh said...

# 15 gave ne such a laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!


Thank you!!!!

I hope all is well.
And I always LOVE your list!

LaskiGal said...

Ha, ha, ha!!! Sandford and Son! I love any post that mentions that icon of entertainment!

"I'm a fragile, delicate flower and should not be performing such feats." I would so say something about a big puffy heart, but I can't. But know I would if I could.

And in denial. J is 1. My baby boy is ONE!!!

No pause button. I looked.

I'm in recovery.

LOVE YOU A GOOGLE... said...

That is so neat! I lack vision, but somehow have found myself tackling a restoration of my own! Love reading about yours and can't wait to see pictures! Thanks for sharing! Just dropping in from Leigh Ann's blog! :)

LaskiGal said...

Um . . . how much longer do we have to wait???