Sunday, September 21, 2008

Quite a disgusting little story

Harper Jane loves to put things in her mouth and by things, I mean EVERYTHING. If it goes in her hand, it goes directly into her mouth. We've had to be really careful about keeping things off the floor. But, you know, we are in the "house apartment" (MM's name for our current dwelling) while we are anxiously awaiting the move into our new "old" house.

So it has been much harder in the house apartment. We are not settled here. We are living out of boxes and suitcases. I refused to unpack for what I thought was going to be just a month (we are now into month #2).

I say all this to explain that normally my house is clean, organized, and tidy. I have found that it is quite a major task to keep things orderly in the house apartment. In other words, it is a mess. We can barely find things and has been hard to vacuum around all those boxes. It is awful. I digress....now to my point.

Harper Jane had been playing in the playroom with MM. MM ran to me and explained that HJ had something in her mouth. Of course, I ran directly to the baby and forced my finger in her mouth to investigate. Much to my dismay, I found parts of a fly. Yes, a housefly. Apparently HJ found this dead fly in the playroom (in between some crates of toys). By this time, I was ready to throw up. I was sick and if this was not enough, Mary Margaret threw herself down on the ground and started screaming and crying uncontrollably. I tried to console her. All I could understand was the word die. What?!? I tried to explain that HJ was fine and the fly had not hurt her.

Come to find out, at pre-school last week MM learned a new nursery rhyme. Have you ever heard the one about the old lady that swallowed a fly.......well in the end, that old lady died.

Never a dull moment around here, I tell ya.

12 comments:

CC said...

Oh my goodness. 1st YUCK! I have students that still eat everything including bugs and it totally yucks me out.

Poor MM :( :( I can see where she is coming from though!

Lori said...

yuck... my little guy puts everything in his mouth too

amazing the connections they make

Sunny said...

YIKES! Poor baby, poor big sister and poor mama! You have to laugh about that though...too funny.

Kim said...

First of all YUCK!! But I did have to laugh at the end. Koy has started learning nursery rhymes in Pre-K. It is so fun to hear the things he is starting to learn.

Jamie said...

Sorry she swallowed a fly but the part about MM thinking about that book is too funny. :)

Kelly said...

Aww! I'm so sorry that she swallowed it! I once - this is nasty - swallowed a rabbit poop because we used to have bunnies and long story short some "stuff" got mixed in with cereal that spilled and I was the dummy who ate it off the floor. :o) Learned my lesson!

Your daughters' names are ADORABLE! We have a Mary-Grace, and I love double names.

Have a blessed evening!

Sunny said...

Please do! You are such a "list person", so you are now tagged to list 30 COMPLETELY RANDOM things about yourself. This is too much fun!

LG said...

that is hilarious!

Jill Bertella said...

HAHAHA That is Hilarious!

Laura said...

You are just full of hilarious stories, aren't you?!

Leigh said...

THAT IS THE FUNNIEST THING I HAVE HEARD FOR 2 WEEKS! Thanks for always providing the comedic relief! Love ya'll!


(though being the germaphob that I am I did gag a bit!)

Katie said...

Oh my goodness, that is classic! I love it! Poor MM! Bless her heart! And poor Harper for swallowing a fly! Blechhhh!

About two months ago, we were on our way out to dinner with some friends, and Mike comes running and hollaring to me with Amelia. He told me she must have put something in her mouth because she kept making this "gaggy" face and wasn't breathing right. He was right...she had an odd look on her face and kept doing the gaggy think. I couldn't tell how well she was breathing because it looked like she wasn't breathing at all...but she was still pink so I wasn't terrribly concerned about that. I was more concerned that she had swallowed something like, oh, a battery and the acid was going to eat away her insides or something lead. Finger-sweeping her mouth produced nothing. So I grabbed a flashlight and looked in her mouth....AAAUUUUGGGHHHHH....It was a HUGE cricket leg!!!!! With those big old hairy/spikey things!!! It was quite possibly one of the most disgusting things I had ever seen!!!! By the time I was going to fish it out...it was gone! GROSSSSSSSSSS! (And I am a nurse...nothing grosses me out....THIS did!)