Thursday, December 11, 2008

Thursday Thirteen

Let me preface this post by telling you a little story.

I started this post yesterday morning and intended to finish and post sometime yesterday, though my plans were destroyed. We are visiting the hubby's brother and sister-in-law. The hubby has a technology conference and we were planning on enjoying a short visit. My sister-in-law (from now on referred to as SIL) took off yesterday morning so we could have a little shopping trip. I transferred all the car seats to my SIL's little Lexus SUV (the hubby needed our car in order to drive to the conference).

We began our little trip. I was thinking on the way that my SIL is the most cautious driver.



We came to a 4 way stop and she came to a complete and total stop. We were in the middle of the intersection when a big Chevrolet truck (an out-of-towner) ran through the stop sign going full speed.



The truck hit on my side and apparently the truck's bumper was able to get underneath my SIL's SUV.



I couldn't believe it as we turned over on our side....then we flipped over and started sliding. We were totally suspended upside down, glass was everywhere, the girls were screaming, and my SIL and I did not know what we should do. I knew I had to get the girls out so I protected my head and unfastened my seat belt. I then climbed out of what was formerly the passenger window (I'm still pulling glass out of my hands).



There were tons of people already trying to help us. I was paranoid because I couldn't see my girls, I could only hear them. I got all turned around outside but finally was able to open the back passenger door and climb in a little so I could get Harper Jane out of her car seat. She held onto me for dear life.



There were some bystanders that were retrieving Mary Margaret. Both girls were still crying hysterically. I just wanted to sit and hold them. MM began complaining and having a little pain from where her car seat straps were.

We went on to the hospital via the ambulance just to be on the safe side. As we were riding in the ambulance, I noticed HJ's face was swelling. Apparently the side airbag popped her in the face. She is a little bruised on her right side.



I have a very sore, swollen, and bruised left side from the initial impact from the truck and my SIL has several bruises from the flipping process.



Throughout this whole ordeal, I realize what a blessing it is to have been able to walk away from this horrific accident.



I tell you this because as I started this Thursday Thirteen post, my thinking was different. I'm going to finish it, but it will have a much different perspective.





INITIAL POST

1. Our trip normal 3 hours trip to Auburn yesterday took a record 5 1/2 hours. Long story short....we had to take a detour b/c of a wreck. Try explaining that to a 15 month old.


2. We had to listen to Christmas music the entire trip. Which was fine for a little while, but Alvin and those Chipmunks almost ended up on the road squished into a million tiny pieces. The Christmas spirit was waning just a bit....


3. I need some sunshine. Seriously. Just a little, just for a little while. I don't mind the cold but give me a little sun.


4. I love Sherri Shepherd's new haircut (she's from The View). Too cute. I wish I would just step outside my hairstyle box and do it. Cut it all off. Wish I had a picture to show y'all!


5. MM loves to point out our President-elect except she calls him President Rock Obama. It is too cute!


6. I just bought my very first pair of skinny jeans (you know, the ones you can tuck into your boots) and oh-my-goodness. I adore them. I want another pair.


7. And on another fashion note...I just bought a pair of leggings. I can't help but think, "I'm 30 and I'm about to wear leggings again." They just look so cute with a long sweater and boots. Tell me it's ok. Just humor me.


8. I just bought the girls another matching Christmas outfit. It's a disease, people. Don't tell the hubby? *AHEM* Please!


CONTINUED....
9. I am so thankful that I know how to install the car seats properly. Learn, if you don't know how to do this.


10. I am so thankful for side airbags.


11. I am so thankful that I wear my seat belt religiously and put my children in their car seats EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.


12. I am so thankful for our family. There were so many that helped take care of us yesterday (my sister, SIL, nephew, BIL and of course, my sweet hubby).


13. Most of all, I feel so blessed as I look at my sweet children's smiling faces this morning. Thank you Lord!

18 comments:

Stefanie said...

OMG LINDSEY!!!I know we are all so thankful that you and your family were safe! We will pray that you girls heal up fast and pray that you have a safe trip home.

And we will pray that the shopping addiction will end. But seriously, if I had two girls I would do the same thing. When you have boys you really can't do that.

Adrian said...

I will be praying for you and your girls. I'm glad to hear that everybody made it through okay. I can't imagine how you must have felt because one of my worst fears is having a wreck with Jackson.

Jenna said...

SO thankful ya'll are all ok!!!!

ashleydiggs said...

So glad that you are okay! God had His hand over you!!

Kim said...

I am so glad you all are ok! We had an accident last year. A teenage boy rear ended us, we were stopped and he never hit the brakes at 60 mph. We had our baby with us (he was 7 months at the time) thank goodness we were all ok. I hope you feel better soon.

Laura said...

Oh NO!!! I am so glad that you and the girls are okay. I've never been in an accident before, so I can't imagine. I am just so thankful that ya'll are okay! You have SO much to be thankful for, too!!

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

I am so glad that you are all okay! What a scary thing to happen!

Cindy said...

Oh my, how scary. I'm glad you all are okay.

Brandy said...

I am breathing easier now that I know all is well for you and your girls. Bless you my special friend! What happened to the other driver? Was he drunk? Did he at least get a ticket? Was he insured? I will continue to send happy thoughts your way and pray you all have a safe trip home.

CC said...

OMG!!!!!!! How horrifying. And you are blogging about it one day later?????

I am so glad you are all okay!

LG said...

OMG! Lins that made me cry. Its always shocking how short life is and how everything can change in an instant. Im so glad you guys were Ok!

Leigh said...

Lindsey! Oh, Prasie God that you and the girls, your SIL -everyone is ok! God was certainly with you all in that car. His angles, encompassed you and protected you all. What a frightening experience for all of you. I hope that you take it easy this weekend. My prayers are with you all. We are blessed you are ok.
Praise God!

Christy said...

Oh...i am glad you are all ok...how scary. Poor babies!!! Poor mommy!
ps...email me your new address!

Lauren said...

Oh my goodness! How scary! I am so glad y'all are okay!

Chassey said...

My gosh Lindsey, I was not expecting this when I began reading your latest post. I am so sorry you and your girls had to endure that. But, I am so happy that you are all okay. I hope none of you are in too much pain. Keep us posted on your physical and emotional recovery. God Bless~

Jill Bertella said...

That is my biggest fear.. That someone will run a red light/stop sign and hit me with Sophie in the car! I hate you had to go through that. I am so glad you and the girls are okay!

ml said...

I have been reading your blog for a while and I don't know you but I read from LG's blogroll. I have a 4 month old and I always drive so carefully with her, but I am always scared, especially on the interstate, because you never know what the other people are going to do! I am so glad you are okay and I can't imagine what was going through your head when you were trying to get your girls out of the car. I am so glad you are all okay!

Amber said...

Car accidents are so scary! I'm so glad that you and your sweet girls and family were not hurt! I hope your bodies are fully recovered soon and that the scare of the accident doesn't stick with the girls!