Friday, February 13, 2009

It's all in the genes

Harper Jane is not a big talker, but really with Mary Margaret around how could she be. She says lots of various words but just not very often. So when she does speak, we all listen intently. I was worried initially especially after having such a talker for my first child. I read and read and asked and asked just to make sure that her hearing and development were on track. The doctor said as long as she was following directions (which she does fabulously) and speaking (on her terms) that she is fine.

Now that I've given you that background info, let me tell you a little story.

HJ has recently began a love affair with the television and I can't tell you how happy I am. Don't judge me you non-mommies out there. You have not had times when you just need a 30 minute break. There are times when you just need your very own body back because as of late, I have been feeling like a real-life jungle gym.

During one of my, let's call them "moments", I needed a small little window of time when nobody was touching me. I turned on The Backyardigans (one of our very favorite shows) and actually sat down on the couch by myself. Let me reiterate that---by myself.

Ahhh!

For 30 entire minutes, I got a mini-break. After the show ended, I turned off the television.

Harper Jane turned to me and asked just as plain as day, "What did you do?"

So guess what? All that talking has started here at the Douglas household. Why I was ever worried, I'll never know! I should have remembered -- it's in her genes!

9 comments:

Kim said...

Wonder Pets is our favorite! I was so glad when Dagan would sit still for 30 minutes to watch them!! I totally know how you feel about the human jungle gym!!

LaskiGal said...

I SO get where you are and I only have one jungle gym climber. What a question! I've RE-discovered the joys of Sesame Street.

And when J's language skills really start to develop, I'm in so much trouble . . .

Kristen said...

you crack me up. they both seem very smart though!! i tagged you in a blog. a LIST JUST FOR YOU!!!

Leigh said...

LOL! Lin, I just adore you. You and your adorble girls always make me smile. What a gift!

Trannyhead said...

BWAHAHAHA!

I have a kid who wont shut up. It seems like that happens a lot .. the first kid is the major talker and then the next kid doesn't really HAVE to talk and thus doesn't. Anyway, Backyardigans rock!

CC said...

Huzzah!

Couch by yourself? What does it feel like??? ;)

Leigh Ann said...

LOVE it!

Holly said...

Haha that's just too cute! :P

Jessica said...

I absolutely love your Auburn pottery. Where did you get it?