Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Dining Room

Here is our Dining Room from beginning to now.




The above picture was taken during our second showing in July of last year. You can see the parquet flooring (later we found pine hardwoods underneath). Also visible is the wall heater. There were 15 wall heaters in our house that we had removed.



Wall Heater Hole




Chipping up the parquet flooring was a lot harder than we anticipated. We completed this labor ourselves. Look what horrible shape the hardwoods were in. That black stuff is glue used to glue down the parquet flooring. I am still amazed that these floors were able to be restored.





We had judge's panels added. Next we had to choose a paint color. Michael is so much better at choosing paint than I am. I wanted red, but more of a brick red. Michael rebelled and chose more of a bright red. He thought is would "flow" better with our other colors. He (with a little help from his Mother) chose Million Dollar Red from the Benjamin Moore paint selection.




Here is the hubby in action. He was painting on the pink primer. If we ever do red again, we will use a gray primer rather than the pink primer. Michael has heard that fewer coats of paint are needed with a gray primer.


The pink primer really SCARED me! I was completely second guessing the color choice. (In the picture is our handy man).


The above picture was taken after two coats. The hubby, ever the painting perfectionist, would not let the red rest until it was fully coated.





Here is the finished product. The walls took FOUR coats. Yes, that's right, my friends, FOUR coats. Now that this lovely room is almost finished (we still need to put down shoe moulding). Don't you think I deserve an antique dining room table (and possibly an antique sideboard/buffet)? I am certainly working on Michael and I think I just might get my way soon! Wish me luck!


Oh and please don't judge me for my messy china cabinets. I have not "placed" everything in the proper places. I am waiting on that sideboard piece for a little more storage. Then I will be able to display my antique china. Antique china, you ask?? Yes, my grandfather was stationed in Japan during the Korean War. He was a medic. While he was there, he sent back an entire set of china (including all the serving pieces) to his mother, my great-grandmother. When my great-grandmother passed away, it was given to my mother who doesn't need it and in turn, passed it to me when I got married. It is 55 years old (ironically the china is the same age as our house) and I love it! What a treasured heirloom!








11 comments:

hayley said...

the room looks great! I LOVE the red :)

Kim said...

Very pretty! I love the red!

ashleydiggs said...

I LOVE THE RED!!!!!!

Stefanie said...

Wow, I love the room. I think the color is perfect. Hopefully you will talk Michael into the dining room furniture soon.

Laura said...

I am so glad you posted this! I've been wanting to see more pictures of THE house! I love that dining room! Also, what a NEAT story about the China. I would treasure it, too!

CC said...

I love this room and adore the red color!!!!!!!!!

Amber said...

You definitely need a beautiful table to finish out that room! I am super impressed that you were able to restore the hardwood floors! They look great.
What a precious treasure you have in the family heirloom china. And a fabulous history of how it came to your family!

Katie said...

My mouth is hanging wide open....

I"M IN LOVE with your dining room. The red is so incredibly beautiful, I just can't stand it. I loved it when you first showed pictures because I loved the corner built-ins...but now, OH MY STARS AND BARS...that room is beautiful! I cannot wait to see it when you get all the furniture, etc. in. Wow...all I can say...

And what a wonderful story behind your china! That is so wild that it's the same age as y'all's house! I can't wait to see it, too.

Leigh of said...

A.MAZING!

LG said...

I am loving all these pics! that Looks amazing! He is a very good painter!
Also i LOVE those built ins!

Debbie Killian said...

Lindsey, the Million Dollar Red made the whole room a classic!!!!